Friday, September 19, 2008

Uganda faces desertification

New Vision (Uganda): Over 80% of Uganda will become a desert in less than 100 years if the current climate changes are not addressed, the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) has warned. Uganda has been experiencing climate changes, which have caused the disappearance of water bodies, decline in food production as well as droughts since 1990, the FAO representative in Uganda, Percy Misika, said.

Global warming and greenhouse gases have caused temperature to rise, with south-western Uganda being most affected. …

This was at a sensitisation workshop for journalists at Hotel Africana in Kampala. Misika said in Karamoja, seven droughts hit the region between 1991 and 2000 as opposed to the usual one every 10 years. He said the changes were causing an increase in malaria, water- borne diseases, pests, floods and a 40% drop in the ice caps on Mountain Rwenzori….

Map of Uganda, CIA World Factbook, Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

Danica said...

I thought you might find this interesting: http://tenbifubyeka.blogspot.com/2008/09/take-desertification-warning-seriously.html

I was scanning blogs for this group I'm working with and a lot bloggers concerned with desertification referenced it. I also thought you might like this or to promote this: Eden Reforestation Projects. I've worked with this group on several levels- I revently wrote grants and no I'm helping develop the media on their website. Anyway, I appreciate your article!